- School Hours
- Census Contact Forms
- Family Contact Information
- Health Office
- Internet and Electronic Resources Use
- PICK-UP AND DROP-OFF PROCEDURES/SCHOOL PARKING LOT
- VISITORS AND SECURE ENTRANCE
Please remember to call Somerset if your child will miss school. Use our 24-hour absence hotline, 651-403-8207. Knowing where your child is each and every day is our first concern. We will call all families when we do not receive a call from you.
Families requesting excused absences for their children (i.e. family vacations) will need to fill out this google form to request approval for the absence. This form does not need to be filled out for religious holidays, family emergencies, medical appointments, student illness, school sponsored activities, or required court appointments. Absence Request Form
Effective parent-school communication is an important component in helping children be successful in school. Please keep your home address, phone number(s) and email address up-to-date with the main office and Infinite Campus Portal. Contact the Somerset secretary Jacki Smith at 651-403-8200 or email@example.com with updates.
The ability to use technology tools and conduct electronic information research skills are now fundamental to preparation of citizens and future employees. Access to the school district technology system and to the Internet enables students and employees to explore thousands of libraries, databases, bulletin boards, and other resources while exchanging messages with people around the world. The school district expects that faculty will blend thoughtful use of the school district technology system and the Internet throughout the curriculum and will provide guidance and instruction to students in their use.
The Internet and Electronic Resources Acceptable Use and Safety Policy (524) defines acceptable student and employee use of the school district technology system, provides guidelines for use of personal devices within the district and sets forth policies establishing acceptable and safe use of the Internet and web 2.0 tools, including electronic communications. The policy covers uses of the school district technology system and Internet resources or accounts on or off district property and/or personal electronic resources while at work or on district property and/or the district system.
At the start of each year, all parents/guardians of students who are new to Somerset or in kindergarten must sign an Internet and Electronic Resources Acceptable Use Agreement. Parents/guardians with questions about the Acceptable Use Agreement should schedule a meeting with the school principal to discuss alternative learning options.
Visit www.isd197.org/schoolboard/policies (Policy 524) for complete information on Internet and Electronic Resources Acceptable Use.
Somerset is a great place to have lunch and we love it when families join us! Please remember to call our office before 9 a.m. on the morning of your lunch date so that our cooks have enough food prepared.
For school lunch prices, menus, free or reduced meal information, lunch accounts and more visit, www.isd197.org/services/childnutrition.
Mrs. Atkins, our head cook, is available at the back-to-school "Meet and Greet" so that parents and guardians can deposit money in their student's account for the first weeks of school.
Finally, please don't send pop with your child's lunch. We're committed to your child's health. Thanks for your help!
As part of our Covid-19 mitigation efforts, parents driving their children to school at Somerset Elementary must remain in the car for both drop off and pick up. Please do not park your car and approach the school to drop off or pick up your child during our arrival and dismissal times.
NOTE: If your child is still in a car seat, we absolutely understand the need to hop out for a quick buckle/unbuckle in the parent drop off lane. Your child's safety is our number one priority.
Drop-Off: Parents will enter the parent loop from the South driveway of the Somerset parking lot. Follow the lane around to the sidewalk, once you are safely parked next to the curb, your child may hop out of the car and follow the sidewalk down to the main entrance. There will be stars spray painted on the sidewalk to help students visualize the 6 ft. distance while entering the school. There will be several Somerset staff members assisting with parent drop off and greeting students as they enter the building. Parents, please create a drop off routine with your child that does not involve you getting out of your car. We will need to continue to have the line of cars moving through the parking lot. In addition, to help with traffic flow, we ask that all parents plan to exit the Somerset parking lot heading South to alleviate cross traffic if at all possible.
Pick-Up: Enter the parking lot and follow the parent pick up lane along side the sidewalk. We will have students stationed 6 ft. apart as they wait for their rides. Parents will be provided with a Somerset Parent Pick-Up sign to put on your front dash. The sign will have space for your children's names, grades, and teachers. This will give our staff the information necessary to get your child to your car as quickly as possible. Again, please plan to exit the parking lot heading South if at all possible.
Additional Tips Learned:
- Please do what you can to enter the parking lot from the North and exit the parking lot heading South (similar to our end of year parade last year). This allows the traffic to flow the smoothest.
- Mrs. Westman (or another adult) will be calling down with your child's teacher, name and the number of the Drop Zone spot. Our Somerset staff will get your child ready for you when you arrive to your numbered spot. We found that rotations of 6 students at a time worked well. To make this process smooth, make sure you have your carpool sign posted on the dashboard or passenger side window.
- Please refrain from using the "Bypass/Parking Lane" during Pick-Up in the afternoon. The carpool line runs efficiently if all cars remain in the carpool lane and travel through the parking together.
Students who live more than .75 miles from Somerset are eligible to receive transportation to and from school. For a complete overview of the district's transportation policies, please visit www.isd197.org/services/transportation or call 651-403-8320.
- If a student has been registered for transportation, they will receive a bus card in the mail in late August. These cards will identify the time a children will be picked up from the bus stop and the bus they will ride. If a family has not received a transportation card, they can call Transportation at 651-403-8320.
- During the first few weeks of school, buses will most likely be late in picking up and dropping off child(ren) because of new routes.
- Kindergarten through grade 2 students should pin their bus card on their backpack for the first few weeks of school to help the driver and child.
- Fourth grade students will be bus helpers for all kindergarten students.
- Parents can help their child have a safe ride by reminding their child(ren) about staying seated at all times, using inside voices and keeping their hands to themselves.
- Finally, when neighborhood parents can take turns waiting with the students at the bus stop it really helps our students and it's a great way to get to know other Somerset families!